[Sca-cooks] substitutes for: garlic, cinnamon

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Sep 19 19:18:15 PDT 2010

I searched this. For garlic maybe certain websites suggest
Asafoetida.
Bouquet: a pungent smell of rotting onions or sulfur. The smell
dissipates with cooking.
Flavour: on its own, extremely unpleasant, like concentrated rotten
garlic. When cooked, it adds an onion-like flavour.
http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/asafetid.html

The other plant that turns up is
Some recipes call for coriander roots, and the roots can also be used
as a substitute for garlic.

--
For cinnamon, maybe use nutmeg or allspice.

---
medivalcookery.com lists both original recipes (search by ingredient)
and a good selection of modernized versions.
Have you tried there?

Johnnae