[Sca-cooks] Feeding the cat was Crepes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 20 10:19:55 PDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Michael Gunter wrote:

>> I repeated the old tale of how Napoleon said the first crepe is always fed to the cat, and said,
>
>> Adamantius
>
> Okay this is funny because I didn't know about this quote but I often fed my first crepe to
> my bread-loving kitten. The first crepe usually doesn't cook right because the oil is too clean.
> The impurities added by cooking that first crepe makes the rest come out perfect.

Not sure about the impurities in the oil; maybe... I had always worked on the assumption the pan wasn't evenly heated the first attempt or two, pores in the metal had not yet opened to admit oil, etc. Whatever the reason, the first crepe to hit the pan is very often not optimal in quality.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter