[Sca-cooks] apple fritters at Pennsic

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Sep 2 09:14:08 PDT 2010

My usual apple fritter recipe is Lente Frytoures from Two Fifteenth
Century. It uses cut up chunks of apple in batter. I've always
assumed that it's one chunk per fritter, but it isn't entirely clear
that that's what is intended.

Are there any period recipes in which it's clear that you are taking
grated apples, or small chunks, and frying something more like a
modern apple fritter?

>--On Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:19 AM -0700 Euriol of Lothian
><euriol at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>  I've made it both with an standard, off the shelf apple sauce and the
>>  chunky  homemade sauce that was made at Pennsic. I though they both
>>  worked rather well.  But I also only placed about a tablespoon of batter
>>  into the oil for each  individual fritter to make sure that it would cook
>>  thoroughly without getting  overcooked on the outside. The raising agent
>>  in this batter was yeast, which I  added about an hour before dropping
>>  the batter into the oil. These definitely  did not look like the large
>>  apple fritters that I am familiar with at the local  doughnut shop. They
>>  came out about the size of a ping pong ball.
>
>I've had some luck with apple fritters by grating the apples and mixing the
>grated matter in with the batter.
>
>toodles, margaret

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com