[Sca-cooks] Measurement Definition

Antonia dama.antonia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:29:59 PDT 2010

  On 3/09/2010 11:59 p.m., Elise Fleming wrote:
> Does anyone know how much a "dyshe" would have been around 1550?  The
> Hampton Court cooks found "an obscure dairy measure" from the north of
> England (1800) that indicated it was 24 ounces.  Anyone else have a
> better definition?

My only exposure to the dyshe/dish is from working out the jumbals
recipe from Gervase Markham.  We tried various versions of the recipe
and thought it worked best if a "dish" was assumed to be 12oz.  This is,
of course, speculative.

http://cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Jumbals

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo