[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Sep 7 16:36:22 PDT 2010

First addressing the question of the rules, If the entry is for this
contest (http://www.sca-angels.org/Anniversary2010.php)

HESTER SPOON:
Tempt judges’ palates with your best red & gold culinary skills in two
divisions: Period Dishes (doc-umentation & recipe required) & No-So-
Period Dishes (just recipe). Please supply a full ingredient list for
all entries.

then I would think that a pre-1600 recipe along with documentation
would be required for the Period Dishes category.

And yes that means a pre 1600 (or whatever appropriate cut-off date is
specified) recipe from an appropriate source.

Are the rules clarified someplace else or further explained?

The Midrealm A&S rules for a Single Dish state "This entry requires
that an original recipe be researched and
translated, and a working version created. Additional work should be
completed regarding a
menu and historical place of the dish or food in a menu. This category
is for 100 per cent edible
entries. It should not be used to submit Illusion Foods. Those entries
should be entered in the
Cooking: Illusion Foods category. Likewise do not enter Brewing and
Vinting entries in this
category.
Documentation addresses the scholarship of the entry. It must contain
certain elements that
address the historical origins of the dish and development of a modern
version versus the
historical or original dish. It should:
• Demonstrate an understanding of pre-1600 historical foods, methods
of cookery,
philosophies, etc.
• Discuss the intended environment for the dish (ex: royal feast,
manor house, holiday
feast), what occasion the dish is created for as well as presentation
and serving method
appropriate to the period.
• Include the original recipe and translation if not in English as
well as the modern working
recipe. Indicate if it is an original redaction or if was developed by
someone else.
• Provide clear instructions, procedures, and method of working that
can be followed."

We tried to spell it all out in 2003. I did the major share of the
rewrite and it seems to have withstood the test of time. Sometimes
spelling it all out saves time and controversy later.

Johnna

On Sep 7, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote: snipped