[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 8 05:00:38 PDT 2010

One thing we've not mentioned is that the main meal of the day was
often eaten at midday
and not at night. So food left from the midday meal could have been
eaten at supper time or in the evening. (Or like I suggested
previously by the servants.) That would reduce the amount of time for
a dish to be left sitting on a sideboard or simmering in a pot.

Always funny how we remember chance mentions of what they ate in the
Middle Ages from one source or the other. How many countless times
have I, as a librarian, been asked to track down this or that mention
or verify that it was true that they ate such and such in that country
or in that time period...

Johnnae