[Sca-cooks] period spices

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Sep 9 05:06:58 PDT 2010

Spice. The aromatic part of a tropical plant, be it root, bark, flower
or seed.

Saffron originated in perhaps Western or Central Asia and was grown in
Eastern Greece in ancient times. It was never inexpensive.

Mustard seed is not listed generally as a spice by most sources. Black
mus tard may have originated in the Sou thern Medi terra nean, Brown
mustard  is from Eastern Europe and the Indian Brown Mustard is from
India and Central Asia.

Johnnae