[Sca-cooks] A horse for a peppercorn-Explanation of a Food Myth

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Mon Sep 13 07:02:44 PDT 2010

To add just another confirming data point, Prof. John H. Munro has
prices for various commodities on his site:
http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/munro5/SPICES1.htm

pepper
18d/lb. (London, 1438)
20d/lb. (Antwerp, 1438)
12d/lb. (Oxford, 1438)

He also gives the daily wage of an unskilled laborer at the time as
being 8d.  That would mean the average Joe back then could afford an
awful lot of horses.

- Doc