[Sca-cooks] apple fritters at Pennsic

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Fri Sep 17 08:21:27 PDT 2010

UH OH, Krapfen,.....

Unfortunately Krapfen and all the various spelling of same does mean all of
what you and Stefan mentioned,....

rolled out and filled dough, fruit (mostly pear and Apple) between pieces of
(white) bread and then pulled through a batter, Batter with something (fruit
chunks, dried orange peel,...) Batter alone, .....

BUT the main thing in common all is FRIED SWIMMING  in Lard, oil or rendered
butter fat

I have not found an omlette or crepe in the german cookbooks I have yet, and
the main difference would be the crepes/omlett type of things is not fried
swimming in fat but normaly just with a little fat.

I will have to go through my stuff to find examples, that will take some
while. I kow we made something like arme Ritter/french toast with apple
inside from the book of Doris Aichholzer Wildu machen ayn guet essen

I would say fritters are a good translation for Krapfen.

Katharina