[Sca-cooks] A horse for a peppercorn-Explanation of a Food Myth

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 19 01:13:17 PDT 2010

<<<
There is also a tradition/superstition that, when you give someone a wallet
or purse, you put a coin in it to make sure that it (the wallet or purse) is
never empty.  I'm not sure of the origin of this one, but it's one I've
known about since I was a child...LONG many years ago!

Kiri (feeling fairly ancient this morning) >>>

I remember my parents telling me something like that. But maybe that had more to do with making sure you had a pair of dimes so you could use a pay phone. Of course it wasn't long before dimes wouldn't do it anymore and you needed quarters.   Now it is rather hard to find a pay phone, or at least a working one.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com