[Sca-cooks] crepes

Kate Wood malkin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 06:08:50 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

>> Now that you mention this "where one was instructed to swirl around the batter", I remember that on a recent show Food Truck Challenge or some such, one of the trucks specialized in crepes, and I remember seeing them pour the batter on the griddle and swirl it around with some kind of utensil. Is that a common thing/requirement in making crepes?
>
> Actually, no, but it may be a common requirement for cooking in trucks. Maybe if one is parked on a hillside or something?
>
> Adamantius

Er, yes. Crepes are often made (at least in commercial settings, where
consistency and neatness are key) on a flat griddle with a spreader
(which is basically a dowel on another dowel, which makes it simple to
spread the batter in an even circle around the griddle rapidly and
evenly.

(For those wondering in answer to previous questions, crepes are
pancakes, but very thin and typically larger than American pancakes.
They have a less doughy consistency, but are not glutinous like a
sweet tortilla would be.)

Kate