[Sca-cooks] crepes

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Mon Sep 20 06:01:16 PDT 2010

My mother's recipe for blini had six eggs and a very little bit of flour.  We had two special small frying pans that we didn't use for anything else. They weren't non-stick, but before the batter was poured, we would tip in a small amount of melted butter, swirl the pan, and tip out the excess.  Then we'd put in about a quarter of a cup of batter, swirl it to coat the pan, and pour out the excess.  When the batter pulled away from the sides of the pan, we'd turn the pan over and tap the crepe out onto a cloth towel, lining them up and overlapping a little. Then more butter, more batter.....  After the batter was all cooked, then we'd fill the crepes. Since only one side had been cooked, we'd fill that side, roll and fold them, put them into a buttered pan, and bake them. Thus the outside got cooked also.

Haven't made those since my mom died in 1965.  Probably have lost the touch....

Devra