[Sca-cooks] crepes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 20 09:58:20 PDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 7:50 AM, Claire Clarke wrote:

<<< Nah. The batter should be runny enough that you can swirl it around in the
pan after you pour it in by gently tipping the pan. There's a little bit of
a knack to it. I guess if you don't have a crepe pan (or just a plain old
frying pan) you'd need a spreader. >>>

To which Adamantius replied:
<<< I think the differing views on this subject are just one of approach/background. Using a spreader is not a classic cooking technique, but it is apparently one commonly used for mass production. I suspect that the logical divider is akin to, how much of your day is spent actually making crepes? >>>

Another difference on whether a spreader is used or not, may be on whether you can move the griddle or skillet or not.

On the food truck show I mentioned, it looked like they were using several flat plates as griddles and, unlike a skillet, they could not lift, tilt or rotate the griddle to spread out the batter. So that might necessitate the use of a spreader.

I can also see where having an omelet pan with sides that curve into the bottom, rather than meeting at a sharp corner, would make frying a crepe easier than in a skillet.

Is there a difference between a crepe pan and an omelet pan? And if so, how do they differ?

Adamantius, were you using a skillet or pan that you could pick up? or were you cooking your crepes on a flat, fixed griddle?  I'm not sure which would be traditional.

I can remember learning to cook pancakes in the Boy Scouts and learning to flip them without using any instrument other than the skillet. A bit of knack to that. Do it wrong and your pancake ends up in the fire. Or sticks. Or ends up in pieces.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com