[Sca-cooks] stuffed pork loin at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 2 00:31:29 PDT 2010

Gwyneth B. mentioned that at this last Pennsic,
<<< Wednesday I cooked for my camp and did a boneless pork loin stuffed
with apples and onions, soaked in beer, and cooked in a dutch oven
over an open fire. Root vegetables were packed in foil and roasted
over the coals. >>>

Was this meat stuffed with apples and onions and then soaked in beer? Or were the apples and onions soaked in beer first and then stuffed into the pork loin?  I can imagine it being done either way.

Was this from a period recipe? I do have this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium, but would always welcome more info or recipes.

meat-stuffed-msg (24K) 4/20/05 Meat stuffed with various mixtures.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/meat-stuffed-msg.html

Hmmm. and thinking about soaking in beer, I also have this file in the FOOD section for those who think of beer as being another food group...
beer-in-food-msg (32K) 2/ 9/08 Period recipes with beer or ale in them.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/beer-in-food-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com