[Sca-cooks] horsemeat

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 14:51:53 PDT 2010

  Stefan,
I could not stomach your horse meat messages - so I did not read them.
HOWEVER, in 732 BC Pope Gregory II prohibited the consumption of horse
meat because it was used in pagan sacrifices.
On the contrary, my late middle ages references use of horse meat are:

Salted horse meat was eaten only in desperate situations in Europe as
warriors had to eat meat. This was most prevalent in Spanish baron's
battles of the 15^th C. Even Juan II, father of Isabel I and Enrique IV,
was forced to eat horse meat in 1420 during a siege headed by Enrique de
Aragon, the brother of his first wife. Juan Ruíz also mentions it being
eaten almost a century earlier with lard and cabbage. The horse was the
equivalent of a Ferrai automobile today. Only aristocrats owned them for
war purposes. Horse meat was more tender then beef in the Middle Ages.
[Castro. _Alimentación_. 1994:123:202; Ruíz-Brey. 1965: 1275a :198; and
Villena/Calero. 2002:23b:31a]

During World War II my father bought horse meat as it was less expensive
than beef. He served it to company one night and it turned out his piece
was bad. He had to confess it to guests. Since they told me that story
the thought of eating horses, especially my Little Bits and Gray Ciders
absolutely makes me cry.

Suey