[Sca-cooks] amounts of food per person

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Apr 4 18:30:27 PDT 2011

> A trap for young players is to hugely overestimate how much rice,
> couscous, etc, people will eat.  1kg rice, pasta, or couscous makes around
> 30 feast portions if the meal is fairly elaborate and you're also serving
> bread.  For a simple feast, it's probably 20 portions/kg.
>
> --
> Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

A very good point, dry weight of a normal portion of these foods is about 2
oz. (avoir.) or 56 g.  That expands to around 6 oz. (or more) of cooked
product.  If one adds meat or sauce to the dish then the dish goes 8 oz. or
more, or equivalent to 2 or 3 feast portions.  If you aren't trying to use
the grain or pasta as cheap filler, then you might even get 40 portions per
kg depending on how the dish is served.  I've also found that people tend to
eat more of these dishes if they are sweetened, say rice pudding or sweet
frumenty.

Bear