[Sca-cooks] Whole or In Parts: Was amounts of food per person

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 4 20:13:42 PDT 2011

Bear wrote:

 >Whole chickens are great for appearance or in specific whole chicken
 >dishes, but on a couple of occasions, I've been the only person at the
 >table that knew how to carve a whole chicken.  I also am of the
opinion >that thighs provide the most meat for the least cost.

And, may I echo that a whole chicken would be unlikely to have been put
on the period table and left there.  The diners would not have carved
it; it would have been carved for them.  Lower ranking tables would most
likely have been given a dish with meat already prepared.  The high
table might have been given a whole item with the carver then preparing
bits and pieces for the high-ranking guests.

Putting a whole bird - or a large, uncarved bit of meat - in front of
diners is (to me) one of the common errors when SCAdians try to recreate
a medieval feast.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming