[Sca-cooks] Whole or In Parts: Was amounts of food per person

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Apr 4 20:37:14 PDT 2011

> Putting a whole bird - or a large, uncarved bit of meat - in front of
> diners is (to me) one of the common errors when SCAdians try to recreate a
> medieval feast.
>
> Alys K.

I actually served a whole turkey to the head table last feast I did.  It was
presented to the Baron who carved the bird and presented the meat to the
Crown.  It was a bit of showmanship with my stag handled Solingen carving
set to add a little more pizzaz.  The other tables were served cold sliced
turkey ala Rumpolt.  There would have been too much wastage serving whole
birds.  The kitchen staff and the servers picked the head table bird clean
after it came off the table.

Just as I was buying for the feast, turkey breast showed up for 98 cents a
pound, so I had about six turkey breasts and three turkey hens (to provide
dark meat, drumsticks, wings, etc.).  I used about 70 pounds of raw turkey
to feed 160 relatively inexpensively.

Bear