[Sca-cooks] Whole or In Parts: Was amounts of food per person

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Tue Apr 5 04:10:06 PDT 2011

On 5/04/2011 3:37 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

>> Putting a whole bird - or a large, uncarved bit of meat - in front of
>> diners is (to me) one of the common errors when SCAdians try to
>> recreate a medieval feast.

I like using whole animals as presentations/subtleties. Put the whole
critter on a fancy platter and decorate it, present it to the nobles and
parade it around the hall, then whisk it back into the kitchen, carve it
very quickly, and serve it. I have done this twice with large whole fish
(mahi and salmon) and once with a 60 lb pig and it went over very well.

Madhavi