[Sca-cooks] Peacock

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue Apr 5 10:06:17 PDT 2011

Viandier has:

199. Swans reclothed in their skin.

Blow them, scald them, slit them along the belly, skin them, and
remove the carcasses. Roast the carcasses on a spit and glaze them
(while turning) with batter of beaten egg white and egg yolk. Remove
them from the spit, let them cool, and (if you wish) clothe them in
their skin. Have little wooden skewers put in the neck to hold it
upright as if it were alive. At a feast [serve] in the second course.

200. Peacocks.

Blow and inflate them like the swans, and roast and glaze them
similarly. Serve them in the last course. When they are reclothed,
have thin slender wooden spits to pass among the tail feathers, or a
bit of brass wire for setting out the feathers as if the peacock were
spreading its tail.