[Sca-cooks] Peacock

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Apr 5 19:01:00 PDT 2011

>Witteveen also says that there are only two recipes for peacock
>(roasted and in a pie) in that book but that there are 20 for
>turkey, thus showing that peacock was on the way out.  He notes that
>by the middle of the 1500s, the fashion of roasting a peacock on a
>spit and redressing it in its feathers came to an end.  Peacock was
>now served in a pie but still sometimes decorated with the tail,
>wings, head and neck affixed to the top crust.

Actually there are three recipes for peacock, roasted with sauce, in
a pie, and a cold roasted peacock, served with its feathers in an
aspic as a "Schauwessen" or showpiece.

I find it more striking that peacock isn't mentioned once in the 40
pages of menus, while turkey is mentioned 10 times.

Ranvaig