[Sca-cooks] amounts of food per person

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 6 02:58:16 PDT 2011

Bear wrote:
 >When you are trying to serve 120+ (the smallest feast I've done was
80, >the largest over 400), trying to display carving skills in a timely
 >manner is a problem.  I can't find enough knowledgeable carvers.

But keep in mind that there aren't (weren't) 120+ people at high table.
  Those were the ones that the carver served.  The lower tables had
dishes that had already-cut-up meat.

This is one of those areas where, while we try to recreate a medieval
feast, we do it with a modern mind set and end up creating difficulties.
  A whole chicken to the guests at head table?  Then everyone gets a
whole chicken.  Would it work to give the whole chicken, with carver, to
the head table and present platters of pre-carved or cut-up chicken to
the other tables?

Even that would be part of our egalitarian mind-set.  From what I've
read, while something like that might have been served to the next set
of tables in precedence, the lowest would have gotten a dish that had
bits of chicken in it.

 From my perspective as a diner, I don't like to see whole anythings
plopped on the table - roast joints of beef or pork, chicken... It
rarely is then proportioned for the people for whom it is intended.
And, as far as disjointing a bird, the carcass is often all that's left
for the last person who is passed the platter.

Alys K., perhaps too fussy nowadays

--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com