[Sca-cooks] Aloeswood substitution

galefridus at optimum.net galefridus at optimum.net
Thu Apr 7 11:43:22 PDT 2011

I've done some preliminary investigations into aloeswood as well -- I could not find an adequate description of the scent, but I found that the major components of aoeswood essential oil are a class of chemicals called sesquiterpenes.  For juniper berries, on the other hand, the major component is a monoterpene.  Thus, it seems that the chemical differences are significant enough to make it unlikely that juniper -- berries or gin -- would be a good substitute.

But I could be wrong -- given the unbelievably high price of aloeswood (it could give saffron a run for the money), it would definitely be worth locating a substitute of some sort.

-- Galefridus