[Sca-cooks] Aloeswood substitution

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Apr 7 17:47:53 PDT 2011

Sounds like you have it.  A. malaccensis is the most common of the Aquilaria
to produce aloeswood.  The resin is mostly contained in the wood itself
(Aquilaria wood is naturally light colored, the occlusive resin is what
darkens the wood).  In nature the infected plants that produce aloeswood are
roughly 7 per cent of the total population.  Cultivated A. malaccensis is
usually infected to produce aloeswood.  You can find both wood and resin,
but I have no information on relative availability and price.  Essential
oils are extracted (as I understand the process) by heating the wood to cook
off the volatiles in the resin and condensing the vapor.

I know of references to aloeswood in a medicinal context, but it's use in
cooking is a new one on me.

Bear