[Sca-cooks] islamic feast, was: Aloeswood substitution

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Apr 7 16:33:13 PDT 2011

>I'm reading through Lilia Zaouali's _Medieval Cuisine of the Islamic
>World_. I'm going to being doing an Islamic feast in a few months. I
>also have the _Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook_. I need to order
>Arberry's book through ILL. Any other suggestions?

Annals of the Caliph's Kitchen, Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq, translated by
Nawal Nasrallah. Tenth century. Huge.

Medieval Arab Cookery, Essays and Translations by Maxime Rodinson,
A.J. Arberry & Charles Perry, Prospect Books, 1998. Contains, along
with much else, Kitab al Tibakhah: A Fifteenth-Century Cookbook,
Charles Perry, tr., original author Ibn al-Mubarrad. Also The
Description of Familiar Foods, a cookbook based on al-Baghdadi with
additional recipes.

It also contains the Arberry translation of Al Baghdadi. I believe
there is now a translation out by Charles Perry, but I'm not sure
where.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Arberry's Book." Possibly Medieval Arab Cookery?

You also might want to check our webbed recipe collection, which has
a lot of islamic stuff in it. For the latest version:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/To_Milk_an_Almond.pdf

>I though of mastic when I was falling asleep, thanks for the
>reminder. :) That's much easier to find. Mastic reminds me of gin,
>but I have no fondness for either.
>
>Sayyeda al-Kaslaania
>

>On 4/7/2011 1:03 PM, David Friedman wrote:
>>
>>Mastic perhaps? I sometimes describe the flavor as dehydrated turpentine.
>>
>>Is this from a recipe? What cuisine?

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/