[Sca-cooks] OOP - Portuguese/Brazilian cooking

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:45:31 PDT 2011

I am not sure about the borders of the period but Brazil is an old country
and the Portuguese colonized it already in the 16th century, Bahia was the
first capital from 1549 to 1763.
I have some recipes from the time where Bahia was newbuild and the Brasilian
ingredients and the Portuguese cooking started to mix.
Par example: vatapa is made from bread, shrimp, coconut milk, finely ground
peanuts and palm oil mashed into a creamy paste. This food is very popular
in the North and Northeast, but it is more typical in the northeastern state
of Bahia where it is commonly eaten with acarajé, although Vatapá is often
eaten with white rice in other regions of Brazil.

Ana