[Sca-cooks] OOP - Portuguese/Brazilian cooking

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 17:48:41 PDT 2011

There is a Portuguese cookbook from SCA period that Faerisa translated.  I believe there is a copy in the Florilegium.

However, if you should want to stretch your limits a bit, then you could make tempura, a Japanese dish introduced to them by the Portuguese in the 16th century.  Or you could make kasutera, which is a Japanese sweet cake also introduced by the Portuguese in the 16th century.  Or if you really want to surprise people, make Vindaloo, which the Portuguese brought to Goa, although after the SCA period.  The original name was Vindalho.  It used to be a pork stew seasoned with garlic [alhos] and wine vinegar [vinho].  However, the Portuguese never took to hot peppers the way the Goans did.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Huette