[Sca-cooks] : Adjusting your Feast budget for Comps

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Apr 18 09:14:31 PDT 2011

While I love to work with tables of 8, I've had the fun of having tables
that will only seat 6 (or funny round ones that seat 5).  These days, I plan
for tables of 8, plan service for a messe of 4 and I'm prepared to deal with
the screwball seating.  I prefer working with advance reservations, but, due
to kingdom dynamics, I haven't had that luxury for years.  Instead, I plan
seating based on the limits of the site and my knowledge of event
attendence.  Fortunately, most sites hold fewer people than want to eat
feast.  Standard feast sizes are 120 or 160, and I plan break even at
roughly 70 percent atttendence.  It makes for some leftovers, but I don't
worry about waste if we have turned a profit and the entire feast is
recouped to the exchequer.

I also don't throw most of the uneaten food away.  At one time or another,
the Barony has donated some food to homeless shelters (bread and
refrigerated whole roasts come to mind), sent unserved food to the tavern to
be sold, and set out leftovers for the dancers and singers who infested the
hall until dawn.

Bear