[Sca-cooks] Adjusting your Feast budget for Comps

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 13:07:45 PDT 2011

Wow  ~.~

When I negotiate a feast I always include/clarify the following details before
agreeing (or walking away):

How many feasts total am I expected to cook (and what theme is there for the
event/meal)

What is being charged per head for adults (is there a price break for kids and
how many do you expect)

How many comps are expected

My FINAL total actual budget amount to create the number of feasts stated above.

And I always confirm these numbers in writing – either with a written bid or via
email with the autocrat or person in charge of budget) before starting
shopping.  I can take vacation days to shop and cook, but need to be sure any
actual money I spend will NOT be coming out of my personal pocket.

So for a crown tourney I would expect 17 comps (6 landed Barons, 7 landed
Baronesses, 1 each King, Queen, Prince and Princess)

If they are charging  $5 for adult feast and want 100 total then I would confirm
an expected budget of $407.50 (assuming 17 comps. 80 adults, and 3 kids at $2.50
instead of $5, and aim to spend $350-375 – leaving myself a little oops room.)
As a note, I will look at the reservations received by the deadline, add 10-20%
to be sold at the door, and adjust the total feasts (and expected budget) to
that amount.

So far that has worked reasonably well.
In Service
Gwen Cat