[Sca-cooks] An almost final Feast Menu

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Apr 18 21:59:38 PDT 2011

Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) is an Old World member of the Cucurbitacaea.  The
German recipe you remember is likely oil, vinegar, salt and sugar.

For a period recipe, you might give this recipe a try:

Cucumber Salad

Peel the Cucumbers/and cut them broad and thin/ season them with oil/ pepper
and salt.  But if
they are salt-preserved/they are also not bad/ are better than raw because
one can salt it with
Fennel and with caraway that both can be kept over one year. And near the
Rhine-stream one
calls it Cucummern

Rumpolt, Ein Neue Kochbuch, 1581

1 cucumber
1/8-1/4 C oil (olive)
Salt and pepper

Peel cucumber and slice thinly into rounds, drizzle with oil and sprinkle
with salt and pepper,
toss to coat

I can't really tell you how they taste.  Raw cucumber gives me indigestion,
so I avoid it.  However, a number of the people who tried it liked it.

Bear