[Sca-cooks] Winter wheat berries

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Apr 23 20:22:25 PDT 2011

I haven't found any pre-1600 references to winter wheat either in use or
cultivation.  Winter wheat is a north Eastern European crop that was brought
to the U.S. in the 19th Century.  Given the fertilization and cultivation
techniques used to produce winter wheat, I suspect that the terminology and
the method of cultivation are a modern practice.  The hardy wheat requiring
some moderate cold for germination is likely much older and was probably
cultivated as an early spring crop.

Since St. Lucia was born and died in Syracuse, I would say that praying to a
local saint to relieve a famine makes some sense.  The wheat represents St.
Lucia's eyes, which according to a variant of her story from the 14th
Century, were gouged out and restored by God.

Wheat berries and crushed wheat, along whith barley, oats, millet, etc., are
used to make frumenty, boiled grain.  It is a method of preparing grain that
has been used since the Neolithic.  You can find any number of recipes from
Antiquity to today.  I would suggest checking frumenty in the Florilegium.

Bear