[Sca-cooks] Book Question

Ursula Georges ursula at tutelaries.net
Thu Apr 28 08:29:09 PDT 2011

Urtatim wrote:

> Here is the original recipe as translated by Zaouali:
>
> from Kanz al-fawa'id fi tanwi al-mawa'id
> (The Treasure-Trove of Things Delicious for the Diversification of
> the Table's Dishes)
> Mamluk period - late 13th to early 16th, probably 14th c.
>
> Cook the chickpeas in water, then mash them in a mortar to make a
> puree. Push the puree through a sieve for wheat, unless it is already
> fine enough, in which case this step is not necessary. Mix it then
> with wine vinegar, the pulp of pickled lemons, and cinnamon, pepper,
> ginger, parsley of the best quality, mint, and rue that have all been
> chopped and placed on the surface of a serving dish [zubdiyya].
> Finally pour over a generous amount of oil of good quality
> --
> "Medieval Cuisine of the Islamic World: A Concise History with 174 recipes"
> by Lilia Zaouali
> University of California Press, 2007
> p. 65

My redaction (with power tools):

1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled until soft
1/2 cup olive or un-toasted sesame oil
1/4 salted lemon, pureed
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 cup chopped herbs (some combination of parsley, mint, and/or rue)

Drain the chickpeas (you may want to reserve some of the cooking water
to thin the puree).  Puree in a food processor.  Stir in the other
ingredients.

This makes quite a bit; you can cut the recipe in half for a smaller
quantity, or freeze some of it.  I generally find that the salted lemon
adds enough salt, but you could increase the quantity to taste.

--Ursula Georges.