[Sca-cooks] Mutton (tolerance question - OP)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Apr 30 17:43:56 PDT 2011

I'm wondering if it is particular to the kind of fat in the meat? It's
been a long time since I've had veal, but I know that sheep fat (lamb,
mutton, doesn't really matter) has a weird almost waxy nature to it that
makes it next to impossible to get off of pots and dishes without the
help of an electric dishwasher. And it leaves a weird film on my teeth.
It might be that your digestive system doesn't want to deal with it.

Liutgard

On 4/30/2011 4:14 PM, Ian Kusz wrote:
> Perhaps it is a particular spice that is commonly used on all three......not
> sure?
>
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Terri Morgan<online2much at cox.net>  wrote:
>
>> One of the things that has baffled me as an adult is that I cannot eat
>> mutton, lamb, or veal. It's not that I'm allergic to it - I'm not - but
>> that
>> the immediate effect of putting some in my mouth and commencing to chew is,
>> ah, unfortunate and will ruin the meal for everyone at the table*. I cannot
>> figure out why this should be so. It is not connected to 'texture', as it
>> happens with almost every dish I've tried, stewed, roasted, sliced thin,
>> minced, whether or not I was aware of what meat it was. I've tried many -
>> it
>> all smells so good! I've not had 'a bad experience' in my youth. In fact, I
>> had never had veal until I was at a feast and found myself reacting to it.
>>
>> So I'm wondering if someone here with more experience would have an idea
>> what would cause this. Maybe if someone did, I'd be able to find a way to
>> change the effect and eat some of the goodness you all enjoy so much. I DO
>> love the flavour. And then my tummy violently voices its opinion before
>> I've
>> even swallowed.
>>
>> It is said that lamb or mutton is the 'safest meat to offer' because of its
>> lack of cultural taboos. I find it embarrassing that I cannot eat it. Got
>> any ideas?
>>

>> Noodling on a Saturday,
>> Hrothny
>> *I throw up.

"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore