[Sca-cooks] Veal, was: Mutton (tolerance question - OP)

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Apr 30 19:16:46 PDT 2011

Usually the calves are male, because there really isn't much use for a
male milk producer ;-) However, experience has shown that in the case
of twin calves, with one being male and the other female, the female
is usually sterile, which again isn't very useful for a milk producing
animal (because the girls need to be bred and calve in order to
produce milk..)

For the feast I helped with in the MK, where I acquired, slaughtered,
butchered, and helped cook a veal calf, the veal calf in question was
a female from just that sort of situation. The farmer I got her from
had decided to raise her for beef, but was happy to get cash instead.
In that case, she was very nicely treated, so I had no objection to
veal in that situation.