[Sca-cooks] Messisbugo Mustard - Was Dijon Mustard

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Sat Apr 30 20:19:47 PDT 2011

I am fine with that interpretation as long as the ounce to pound ratio is 12 to 1 at that time and place in Italy.
I used the 12/1 ratio for the redaction I just made up.
It is however REALLY clove dominate.
This might change with a bit of age (the mustard is likely to come out) or maybe the sugar water (instead of honey) might release more mustard flavor.

Another question - Anyone know what why sugar water was chosen instead of clarified sugar or clear sugar (see below Florio translations)?
Could it be melted sugar?

Any thoughts on this? I would translate it as "clarified sugar" if I was translating it.

Eduardo

Original word chiarificato not found in Florio in this form.
It is in Florio in this form chiarifcare and the entry says - Chiarificare, as Chiarire

The entry for Chiarire in Florio says - Chiarire, Chiarifco, Chiarito, to clarifie, to cleere, to rarifie. Also to resolve, to put out of doubt.