[Sca-cooks] amounts of food per person

Antonia di B C dama.antonia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:25:27 PDT 2011

On 5/04/2011 10:38 AM, Susan Lin wrote:
> Do not assume that a recipe that
> says it will serve 10 will actually serve 10 it will often serve many more
> than that.  I usually look at a recipe and if it says it serve 8-10 I
> immediately interpret that to be serves 20 at least.  If it's chicken I
> usually cut the pieces into smaller portions so someone doesn't take an
> entire breast only to take 2 bites and pitch the rest.

Or, to put that another way-- if you have 10 generous servings of meat
dish A and 10 of meat dish B, and 10 of meat dish C, that's not 10
people's worth of meat dishes-- it's 30.  People will eat more than they
would at a normal dinner, but not vastly more.

A third method is basically to say that people will eat about 200-300g
(approx, 7-10oz) of meaty stuff each, and you can divide that among as
many dishes as you please.

> Things that are not commen to the modern palate are likely going to go a lot
> further.  In my Barony glazed carrots for 8-10 will probably serve 30!

Really?  Our lot are demons for roasted carrots and will eat quite a lot
of them, hot from the oven or cold with vinegar and herbs.  Of course,
in general, people will eat *far* more vegetables if they can have small
portions of several kinds rather than a large portion of one kind.  I
try to have at very least two kinds of veges per course, and usually
more like 3-4.

A trap for young players is to hugely overestimate how much rice,
couscous, etc, people will eat.  1kg rice, pasta, or couscous makes
around 30 feast portions if the meal is fairly elaborate and you're also
serving bread.  For a simple feast, it's probably 20 portions/kg.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo