[Sca-cooks] amounts of food per person

Antonia di B C dama.antonia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:25:55 PDT 2011

On 5/04/2011 1:30 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

>> A trap for young players is to hugely overestimate how much rice,
>> couscous, etc, people will eat.  1kg rice, pasta, or couscous makes
>> around 30 feast portions if the meal is fairly elaborate and you're
>> also serving bread.  For a simple feast, it's probably 20 portions/kg.
>>

> A very good point, dry weight of a normal portion of these foods is
> about 2 oz. (avoir.) or 56 g.  That expands to around 6 oz. (or more)
> of cooked product.  If one adds meat or sauce to the dish then the
> dish goes 8 oz. or more, or equivalent to 2 or 3 feast portions.  If
> you aren't trying to use the grain or pasta as cheap filler, then you
> might even get 40 portions per kg depending on how the dish is
> served.  I've also found that people tend to eat more of these dishes
> if they are sweetened, say rice pudding or sweet frumenty.

That's true-- they also like it more if it's combined with savoury
stuff, nuts, onions, cheese, whatever.  They're wise to the idea of
"filler" though, and won't eat more rice just because you think you can
get away with serving less stewed venison that way :-)

And if it's poorly cooked, they may not eat it at all.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo