[Sca-cooks] Ashkenazic Passover recipes

galefridus at optimum.net galefridus at optimum.net
Tue Apr 5 09:34:53 PDT 2011

My wife has looked at just about every available Ashkenazic haggadah, starting from Amram (9th Century CE), who was not Ashkenazic, but whose version of the haggadah is the basis for everything else since then.  We have the advantage of relatively easy access to the Jewish Theological Seminary, which has one of the most comprehensive collections of haggadot in the world, and the Library of Congress, which also has an outstanding collection.

Regarding truly Jewish cuisine -- my wife has come to the conclusion that only a few foods are solely Jewish, with evidence for their consumption existing all the way back to Antiquity.  I don't recall all of them, but included are such things as matzah, charoset, and cholent.

-- Galefridus