[Sca-cooks] Peacock

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 14:13:55 PDT 2011

Be grateful if you don't live in Los Angeles County, California, because here, peacocks are protected.  It is illegal to kill them in any way.  Where I live, they run wild, but hit one with your car and you will be given a substantial fine.  Kill one deliberately to eat it and you will serve time in jail.  Years ago, there was a delicatessen in Pasadena that offered a sandwich that was peacock's tongues on communion wafers.  They intended this as a joke and no one ever ordered it.  But shortly after they "offered" this sandwich, they got raided and had to prove that they did not have any peacock tongues, never did, nor ever intended to serve peacock's tongue    They were advised by the the County District Attorney to remove this "joke" from their menu, which they promptly did.

Although we live several miles from the original source, The Los Angeles County Arboretum in Arcadia California, we have a male peacock living on our street.  I can hear his calls every morning and evening.  He has visited our yard several times.  When I drive north to get to one freeway, traffic is frequently stopped as a male sashays very slowly across the street with his harem and their chicks.  There are several other areas of Los Angeles County, where millionaires thought it was cool to have pet peacocks, only to discover that they are not controllable and they breed faster than rabbits.  When too many voters became outraged at the prospect of killing such beautiful birds, a law got passed.

If your birds come from this area, then your friend is committing a crime.

Huette