[Sca-cooks] islamic feast, was: Aloeswood substitution

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 8 00:13:59 PDT 2011

As for interpreted recipes on the web, i have some of mine on my website:

Two 9th c. Abbasid cold chicken dishes (i really like these):
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/Misc_ME_Food/barida.html]

13th c. Andalusian garlicky chicken (this won a cook-off):
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/Misc_ME_Food/AndalusianChicken.html]

13th c. Moroccan-style lamburgers:
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/Misc_ME_Food/ahrash.html]

13th c. Moroccan-style chicken, cooked simply, with sauce and garnishes:
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/Misc_ME_Food/lamtuniyya.html]

Several specifically Lenten recipes from the 14th c. Book of the Description of Familiar Foods:
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/Misc_ME_Food/CairoLent14thC.html]

Three recipes from 3 cookbooks i often cooked when SCA camping:
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/Misc_ME_Food/Hist-Mid-East-Recipes.html]

And some of my feasts --

My course of an Iron Chef feast, using recipes mostly with Persian names from Arabic language cookbooks:
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/2001_Feasts/persianchef.html]

A feast i cooked for 150 at a West Kingdom camping event in difficult circumstances with mostly period M.E. food (my apologies for the inclusion of tabbouleh (w/o New World ingredients) - it was requested by the people who funded the feast)
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/2002_Feasts/2002-Purgatorio_Casbah/2002Casbah0Menu.html]

A feast i cooked for King Jade & Queen Kaaren of the West and their guests at Pennsic:
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/2007_Feasts/Pennsic36_West_Feast.htm]

A feast of 15th & 16th c. Ottoman recipes:
[http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/2007_Feasts/Fall%20Investiture%20Feast/Intro_Menu.html]

I am certain you want to interpret original recipes on your own, but perhaps these can give you an idea of how some SCA Near and Middle Eastern feasts have been done -- or for others lurking out there who want some modern style versions of historical recipes -- note these are for diners varying from 12 to 150, depending on the feast.
--
Sayyida Urtatim al-Qurtubiyya