[Sca-cooks] An almost final Feast Menu

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Wed Apr 20 11:19:30 PDT 2011

cut-------

As to faking rabbits:

We did that with the cute little easter bunny forms (we trimmed the *egg*), those were even made beforehand and frozen. BUT it was minced meat and not encased in a pastry dough.  I could have gotten real rabbit but unfortunately not for the price we were prepared to pay. So we made a farce out of (in this case turkey breast) spiced like a rabbit pie and baked the whole thing in the cake forms. We made also *sitting hens* in that way.
Chawkswrth <chawkswrth at aol.com> wrote:

> My next place is a store in town who I know have had them in the
> past-in the freezer. Afterwards, will be butcher shop that specializes
> in meats for Arabic households. If those don't play out, then I get to
> explore faking it.

We did not do fritters but something simmilar as appetizers in the first course once: french toast (actually a piece of baguette, as it has the right shape) with a piece of roasted blood sausage on top for 150, with one piece per person planed.
What we did was make a *cooking street* with one cook making the french toasts, one the sausage and another one assembling the stuff and decorating them (with horseradish and pine nuts) on a plate with the servers waiting to take the finished plate and serve one per table. The cold appetizer was allready served first. with bread and spreads on the table. This does work, but has to be planed propperly and you need to test the cooking times and amount of bread and sausage pieces per pan ,... AND have all the opther stuff like soup/roasts, etc well out of the way.

> The more I think about it, the more I may drop the fritters. I had them
> in the first course because of the time concern, but...this is shaping
> up more like a transport Feast-do 90% of the cooking the day before at
> home, and finish/warm up the day of the Feast.
> I also realize that it would be 2 breads, because bread would already
> be on the table.  ::sigh::
> this is why I said "almost Final"
> I guess it won't be final till we open the seating.

> Helen

Regards Katharina