[Sca-cooks] Mutton

Antonia di B C dama.antonia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:39:38 PDT 2011

On 30/04/2011 9:37 AM, Saint Phlip wrote:
> _I_ don.t. Problem is, it's different from beef or veal, and I think
> people dislike it because lamb LOOKS like beef, but distinctly isn't.
>
> I'm still cringing from when someone on this List took some (lovely,
> delectable, heavenly, DELICIOUS) loin lamb chops, boiled the bejezus
> out of them, and decided they didn't like lamb.

Oh, that's just a sin.  What a waste of good food!

> Lamb is best cooked gently and served at worst medium rare, and mutton
> needs more cooking to help break down connective tissue, but still
> doesn't need to be boiled into grey mush. If I ever emigrate to Oz, it
> will be for the inexpensive lamb down that way. Lamb is my favorite
> red meat (as long as some idiot doesn't believe certain cook books and
> cook it past well done.)

Actually, I like it broiled very fiercely, so that it's got a delectable
crust on the outside but remains juicy and pink on the inside. It can be
cooked to well done very successfully, but I think the only way to do it
nicely is to slow-roast it.

Mutton makes the most wonderful stews, and also many "lamb" curry
recipes are considerably better when made with young mutton.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo