[Sca-cooks] Veal, was: Mutton (tolerance question - OP)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 30 18:23:14 PDT 2011

Sayyeda al-Kaslaania wrote:
>Are there humane veal choices? I see it in some recipes, but my
>understanding is like yours.

When i was travelling in al-Andalus (that is, modern Andalucia :-) in
Dec 2000 - Jan 2001 some restaurants served what was called "veal". I
asked about it and it turned out to be range grass-fed young cow, not
captive milk-fed young cow. The meat was not as dark as adult cow,
but not white like the veal i grew up eating, long before i knew how
they were raised.

It may be possible to get that from some butchers in the US...
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita