[Sca-cooks] Favorite Medieval dish?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Aug 15 16:44:24 PDT 2011

I would be strongly tempted to bring Badinjan Muhassa, out of al-Warraq and credited to Ibn al-Mahdi. Not that I like it more than a bunch of other things, but it's unusual and portable. And I could bring with it a few of the al-Warraq breads to dip in it--Bread of Abu Hamza and Ka'k Made for Abu 'Ata Sahl bin Salim al-Katib.

And since I have bread to dip in stuff, the al-Warraq soused eggplant, which can be made in advance and brought, would make a nice addition. And for those with a sweet tooth, al-Warraq's "A Recipe for Conserving Quinces" can also be done well in advance, and provided along with the breads.