[Sca-cooks] Freezing tarts.

Haraldr Bassi sca-cooks-l at drakkar.org
Tue Aug 30 12:20:08 PDT 2011

Hi Gunthar,

I served Daryols and various tarts (including mushroom/cheese) at the King's College I cooked a
few years back in Bjornsborg. I had expected to need to heat the tarts to serve, but found that
they warmed up just fine at room temperature and were plenty yummy. I freeze them in lightweight
plastic containers and use wax paper sheets between layers. I've placed the containers out in
the sun as necessary to warm them up in the event they were still cold in the morning.

Oksana and I have served Daryols many many times over the years and most recently they were
always pre-cooked and frozen and served at room temperature. The only issue I've ever had was
certain doughs will crumble rather than freeze well. But, choose a good dough base and that
problem went away.

As for sekanjabin, I've made it many many times in the past. The basic recipe is what is
commonly referred to as Cariadoc's redaction as found in his Miscellany, with some minor tweaks
by Thora Sharptooth and ourselves. Oksana has it on her wiki:
https://wiki.budgardr.org/villagers/oksana/medieval_recipes#syrup_of_simple_sikanjabin_oxymel

I don't know whether I've killed my fresh mint out in the garden, but even if it is dead I can
locate some fresh mint. If you'd like, I can take care of the mint and ginger sekanjabin drink
syrups for the vigil.

Thanks,
Haraldr Bassi