[Sca-cooks] a Viking-challenge?

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sun Dec 11 03:07:56 PST 2011

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:12:35 -0500
From: "Terri Morgan" <online2much at cox.net>
To: "'Cooks within the SCA'" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] a Viking-challenge?

I've been asked to provide a dessert for a Viking feast (really, just a
small gathering of reenactors) that features berries but is low on sugar
since a few of the guys are diabetic. That's not so rough, but they've
thrown in "and it needs to be low on fat, as one guy has trouble with fatty
foods" so that kinda kicked any thoughts of a fried-pie sort of thing out of
my head. Or a simple 'snow' or heavy cream mixed with berries.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I'd like to keep it as simple as I can since
whatever I bring, the guys will assume that it is as close to period-correct
as can be (saving that I plan on using Splenda should I need to sweeten
anything).

I'm rather down to thinking that a soft goat's cheese mixed with crushed
berries is going to be the way to go. How boring for their festive occasion.
(They only do this once a year.)

Hrothny, totally too stressed to be creative or wing it from her "available
foodstuffs of the early Norse" lists.

Could you just put a big heap of berries on a platter, with a little pot of
honey, and a big bowl of clotted cream, and maybe a few other little things
(nuts, wafers, etc) and just let people mix it up the way they want, or as
is appropriate for them?

Otherwise I would suggest summer pudding, but it's not exactly period.

Angharad