[Sca-cooks] Encouraging Period Cooking: good feasts cheap

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Tue Feb 1 12:23:22 PST 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Honour Horne-Jaruk wrote:

> .... Every event I went to that winter, I asked permission to triple-line a trash barrel and designate it for only food waste. There were entire weeks when the pigs needed no other food. ...

Absolutely loved your notes on "flint-skinning", BUT!!!!

I would hope, if this were to be done these days, the designation would be for "ONLY FOR VEGETARIAN FOOD WASTE, NO MEAT OF ANY KIND".

That would still get you salads, vegetables, breads, grains & legumes, desserts.  Getting folks to sort out and NOT dump any meat leftovers (ESPECIALLY THE PORK ONES) might not be feasible?

Feeding pork (but really any commercially raised meat) to pigs promotes the development of prion (mad cow type) diseases in the eater, yes?  Animal "by-products" have been banned from commercial feeds for many many years now, for that very good reason.

chimene