[Sca-cooks] Encouraging Period Cooking: good feasts cheap

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 16:54:20 PST 2011

Respected friends:
--- On Tue, 2/1/11, Patricia Dunham <chimene at ravensgard.org> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Honour Horne-Jaruk wrote:
>
> > ".... Every event I went to that winter, I asked
> permission to triple-line a trash barrel and designate it
> for only food waste."
>
> I would hope, if this were to be done these days, the
> designation would be for "ONLY FOR VEGETARIAN FOOD WASTE, NO
> MEAT OF ANY KIND".
>
> That would still get you salads, vegetables, breads, grains
> & legumes, desserts.  Getting folks to sort out and
> NOT dump any meat leftovers (ESPECIALLY THE PORK ONES) might
> not be feasible?
>
> Feeding pork (but really any commercially raised meat) to
> pigs promotes the development of prion (mad cow type)
> diseases in the eater, yes?  Animal "by-products" have
> been banned from commercial feeds for many many years now,
> for that very good reason.
>
> chimene
 An excellent point. Nowadays you'd need to assign a guard to the barrel to prevent that sort of mishap. But for bigger feasts it would still be worth it; one memorable twelfth night we brought home _three_ 55-gallon drums of food scraps-- the equivalent of about $40.00 US worth of commercial feed. Another good source of free food for animals is local wholesale grocers, who have to pay dumpster fees, and farmer's markets. In the summer and autumn you can do very well clearing orchards of insect and blight infected drops, thus breaking up their life-cycle and helping both the grower and yourself. I've also had good luck offering a garden-care service for vacationers, on the condition that anything which becomes ripe during their absence is mine.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS