[Sca-cooks] suet Vs. fat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 21:56:49 PST 2011

Galefridus said:
<<< A similar distinction exists wrt sheep fat. A lot of Islamic recipes call for tail fat, which is not to be confused with the muscle fat. Sheep store fat in their tails (and around their hocks in some breeds). >>>

We've talked a little bit about fat from sheep tails previously. This file in the FOOD section has some of our discussions on it:
cooking-oils-msg (78K) 6/10/07 Period cooking and food oils.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cooking-oils-msg.html

Unfortunately, I don't remember any discussions that the tail docking removed the tail fat also, but this file might have some info on possible sources.  Doing a search on "tail fat" in the Florilegium does turn up a number of recipes calling specifically for that ingredient.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com