[Sca-cooks] oxtail soup, Vol 57, Issue 36

deanie schickler deanies1969 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 15:37:45 PST 2011

thank you!

________________________________
From: Sharon Palmer <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wed, February 2, 2011 2:21:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] oxtail soup, Vol 57, Issue 36

> That being said, there is a wide variety of
> dishes in many medieval cookbooks, including dishes like "gruel" and
> "garbage".  I've even seen medieval recipes that call for a cow's udder,
> so I think the lack of an oxtail recipe in the medieval corpus is not
> insignificant.

> 3. Offal was (to a degree) valued, with contracts stating who in a
> manoral setting was to get certain organs (there are also heaps of
> recipes for kidney pies).

Well, garbage didn't mean the same thing then.

Among Rumpolt's 2000 recipes are 7 for Udder, I think it was a delicacy.
And about 8 for kidneys (none for kidney pie)
Along with spleen, brain, eyes, tongue, stomach, lungs, throat, tripe,
intestines, feet, and others.

And I just noticed an Ox tail recipe.  Not soup though.

Ochsen 73. Eyngemachten Ochsenschwantz/ setz jn zu in einem Wasser/ vnd laß an
die statt sieden/ heb die Brüh davon auff/ so wirdt es wohl geschmack/ Als dann
nimm gelbe Rüben/ schab vnd schneidt sie voneinander/ quells in Wasser/ vnd kül
es auß/ Nimm darnach ein wenig ungesaltzen Speck vnd Zwibel/ hacks durcheinander
mit grünen Kräutern/ laß den Schwantz damit sieden/ thu gestossen Pfeffer
darein/ so wirt es gut vnd wohl geschmack.

73.  Put up** Oxtail/ set it to (the fire) in a water/ and let simmer until
done/ lift from the broth/ like this it becomes good and well tasting/ then take
yellow roots (yellow carrots)/ peel and cut them apart/ parboil in water/ and
cool off/ Then take a little unsalted bacon and onion/ chop together with green
herbs/ let the tail simmer with them/ put in ground pepper/ like this it is good
and well tasting.

** Eyngemachten is a difficult word, modernly it means canned, but in Rumpolt
indicates fruit preserved in sugar or dishes with a sauce or sometimes in a pie
- I suspect they might be dishes meant to be served cold.  I've settled for
using "put up" to translate it, but am aware that it isn't entirely correct.

Ranvaig